Friday, June 15, 2012

Fawn In The Lawn

One day last week Lori was on her way to the mailbox via a trail mowed through the front of our property. She came hoofing it back up the driveway moments later.  "There's a fawn, out front, bedded down in the grass," she said breathlessly. I ran to get my camera.


 Sure enough, there just five feet from the path was a fawn, perhaps a week old.




We have a lot of deer around here, and it is not uncommon to see them in groups of four or so from time to time. We have to fence everything we don't want mowed to the ground because of them. But even though they are a nuisance we like having them around, and we have had does and fawns nearly every year. This however is the first time we've seen one this young.




Such a sweet face. It has a cut on its forehead, between its eye and ear, but it doesn't look bad and I am sure mom is keeping it clean.  After Lori brought me down to see it, I went and got Lisa and showed her. By this time mom was snorting from the bushes so we left them alone.

I sure did want to pet it, though.



1 comment:

  1. What a great find! Even though they are extremely abundant and can decimate vegetation . . . I never tire of seeing them. Glad to share space with them. Elegant creatures.

    ReplyDelete