Sunday, June 24, 2012

Artwork--A Two-fer!

I have been busting my tail to get some new artwork done since we returned from Pictured Rocks. I have 10 shows in the next nine weeks, and a few of them do not allow framed prints to be hung in your booth. Once again I did not get nearly enough work done over the winter, and I've sold four originals in three shows so far this year. At that pace I will be in trouble by August, so I have been spending a lot of time in the studio, to the detriment of all sorts of other things.

First up is this pretty little American goldfinch I finished today. I've done a couple of them over the years, the last one about four years ago, a male perched on an purple coneflower. I really like the composition of this image but had a hell of a time figuring out the wing feathers from this angle. They are close but probably not exactly right. Thank goodness for artistic license....



"All That Glitters"


Next we have another American, this time the American robin. This is one of those birds that you see everywhere. It is so ubiquitous that I barely notice them at all anymore, except at 5:30 in the morning when they start singing to raise the dead outside the bedroom window. I got shots of this stately female while I was at a show last year in Madison Wisconsin. Let's just say the show was, well, slow, so I wandered off with my camera and left Lisa at my booth. The robin was working her way across the lawn of the park. I love this pose, so typical for this bird, always with its beak in the air, very aristocratic. I figured it was about time to draw Michigan's state bird!


"The Early Bird"

Both pieces are 10 x 8, framed to 14 x 11, and, for now, are $425 each.

No comments:

Post a Comment