Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Publicity

Press releases are a great thing, and anyone who wants a little media attention should learn to write one.  I don't know what took me so long, but I finally did it and it landed us a two page spread with three photos in our local paper, the Livingston County Daily Press & Argus.

After getting a story about the mural in Traverse City in the Traverse City Record Eagle I decided to see if I could drum up some local press based on the mural.  The Traverse City story happened completely by chance--a woman from the paper was at the nature center to do an interview with one of the Conservation District's employees and just happened upon us, finishing up the mural.  We had a nice chat with her and she took some photos, one of which I was able to send in with the press release.

Two weeks or so after sending out the press release we got a call from a reporter from the Press & Argus, saying he wanted to come out and interview us!  We had just had our open house so the gallery was still put together and looking good.  We all took showers and combed our hair and got our pics taken with a really wide angle lens, which makes my head look enormous, but I don't care.

Marie, Lori and Lisa

If you'd like to read the article, follow this link

We've had a lot hits on our website thanks to this, and a few phone calls for classes, so it was well worth the effort to put the press release together.  I would recommend it to anyone who wants a little recognition for their work.  Don't know how?  Just Google "How to write a press release"!



No comments:

Post a Comment