Thursday, February 4, 2010

Flying to Florida

Well, it's been a busy week here at the compound. No excuse for not blogging, I know, but it's all I've got. My freelance photography job has started back up (I work for an online children's retail shop), I'm starting to gear up for a big show at the end of the month (Outdoorrama) plus working at my new job a manager for the Ann Arbor Artisan Market.

In addition to all that I have been getting ready to head down to Florida to visit my Grandma. The girls aren't going with me this time--last year we drove the RV down. What fun that was, our inagural journey in a 20 year old Gulfstream and we decide to go 2,800 miles round trip. No, this year I'm flying down alone, though I am taking my camera gear and plan on heading to the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, so I will hopefully have some cool stuff when I get back next week.





We got a nice fluffy snow yesterday, the stick-to-everything kind. Winter's been pretty average this year, although I think less snow than what we usually get. I'm not complaining--after our last two long, bitterly cold, record-snowfall winters, I'll take an easy one.

Flying to Florida this time of year is always a shock. Cold and dry when you leave here, you get off the plane in Florida and are hit by a wave of humidity you haven't felt since August. It can literally be hard to breathe. I've been going since I was a junior in high school, and while some years I dread it--feels more like obligation than vacation--I am actually looking forward to it this year. The last time I flew down by myself I did not take my camera gear and just hung out at my Grandma's place. But this time I am really looking forward to getting outside and doing some hiking in the refuge and along the Canaveral National Seashore.

So you won't hear from me for about a week or so. Take care, ya'll.

No comments:

Post a Comment