Saturday, April 2, 2011

Hooded Merganser

The last big sighting for us along the wildlife drive in the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge was first spotted by Lisa. OK, I should say it was a big sighting for me. This is a bird I've always wanted to see up close.

He was fishing when we pulled up, but stopped as I stood on the side of the road, shooting away.


He seemed to be watching me.


Then he went about preening, and like a proud parent that takes a photo of every single damn thing their baby does--"Oh look, Honey, he's picking his nose! Quick, get the camera!"--I took a picture of every move.

He splashed around...


...he preened his tail feathers...


..he stretched his wings.


Oh! gotta get him from this side! Sheesh....


And then he posed prettily in the glassy pond.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos and running commentary from a caring nurturer! Really nice little guy.

    ReplyDelete