Friday, April 29, 2011

An Osprey Gets Its Fish

On our last day in Florida we decided to drive back down the coast to the Archie Carr NWR and do a bit of kayaking in the Indian River Lagoon. We put in at the Longpoint campground boat launch. Right next to it was a fish cleaning station, which was surrounded by begging birds waiting for fish guts. Four Brown Pelicans, a White Ibis and Great Egret awaited handouts.



We floated the calm waters watching fish leap and splash. Several Osprey soared overhead, their keen eyes scanning the waters. These birds were willing to work for their meals.





Then, one of the birds I was watching went into a dive. I scrambled to get my camera on it. I managed to catch up just before the bird hit the water--and what a shot it was! Click on this to enlarge it--you can see the bird's feet extended in front of its beak, toes splayed and talons hooked, wings tucked and set for impact, ready to take its prey.


I watched as the bird struggled to get out of the water...


...then finally emerge with its catch.








The clarity of these shots is not good as I had my cheaper lens with me on the water, but I was thrilled to be able to capture this sequence, grainy or not. Hope you enjoyed it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Awesome series! That would make a great painting.... :-)

    ReplyDelete