Monday, August 23, 2010

Artwork--"Let's Play!"

First, an admission--these are pretty bad photos! I shot the piece as it sat on my drawing table and the light is very uneven. Rest assured this piece does not really look this blotchy!

I have been wanting to get a new sandhill crane piece going for quite a long time. Now that I have an exhibition coming up in October with my other Bear Track Studios girls I figured I ought to get going on some new work. This is a big piece, 34" long by 27" ? high. It is based on a few of the photos I shot several weeks ago of the cranes at Appleton Lake who were playing on the shore. Check out the post Crane Play and see if you can figure out which ones I've used.


This is the full image. I know it's a bit hard to see. The basic outline and feathers have been inked in, awaiting color and detail. Remember you can click on the image to see it a bit bigger.


Here's a close up of the wing that's almost done. It's a bit tedious, but it's work that I love, and I am already excited to see this piece finished.

We are heading out of town for a much needed vacation. I hope to have scads of new images when I get back! Until then, peace to you all.

4 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, ouch! I checked and double checked and still didn't see the slash missing...sorry, sorry; corrected, clicked and it now opens to your site. In my next post I'll mention the error...know what you mean about blogging being more work than originally thought...it's like a full-time job...don't know how you get done all that you do...AND your crane looks terrific...the wing must consume hours of tedious work. Hope you have a successful show in October!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kittie. I truly am grateful for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The wing cropped like that even looks amazing. The rusty feathers look like tiny flames licking off the shoulder. Fantastic work...I'm excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Know you're super busy. Just want to share that I gave you a typo apology with your link upfront in my blog.

    ReplyDelete