Thursday, February 9, 2017

Artwork: Barn Swallow and Common Yellowthroat

Things are about to get crazy here! I've just returned from two shows in Florida, and now we are about to close the sale of our house and buy a new place in west Michigan. It's gonna be amazing--once we get it fixed up--and I'll share with you about that soon. So for now, Yellowstone posts are on hold, but I can whip out a quick post about my newest two pieces.

I love drawing these little songbirds. The big, dynamic subjects are fun too, but being able to take a 3" to 6" bird and make it larger than life, to show its personality, to let you see up close detail that you'd miss at 10 or 20 feet, is a real treat.

This first piece is a Common Yellowthroat, a bird I photographed on Galveston Island several years ago when I was in Texas for a show. It was the closest I'd ever gotten to one, and he sat still long enough for me to get some good pics to work from. I love his bold markings, and his "witchity-witchity-wee" song is a joy to hear.


"Uncommon," 8 x 10, matted and framed to 11 x 14. $495.00.
Prints available here

This Barn Swallow is one I watched for quite a while as it sat preening on a railing at the Black Swamp Bird Observatory in Ohio, right before the Biggest Week in American Birding commenced. They have quite a colony there that nests under the eves of the visitor center. It was late afternoon and the diffuse sun really showed off his brilliant colors.


"Born in a Barn," 8 x 10, matted and framed to 11 x 14. $495.00
Prints available here.

So stay tuned for updates on our move, and all the awesome stuff we plan to do at our new place!

No comments:

Post a Comment