Monday, October 31, 2011

Artwork--"Indigo"





I will never forget the first time I heard this bird sing.  I was sitting on a log at the edge of a small meadow in the state land near my home.  I was transfixed by his clear melody, and it took me several minutes to track down the singer.  I was even more excited to find that song was coming from this beautiful creature.

Several years later, this past spring, I sat at the edge of another clearing, watching three male Indigo buntings make the rounds of their forested track, and photographed them as they paused in the dead tree in front of me to tilt their heads back and sing out their territorial warnings (read about it here.)  What a magical morning.


This piece is done, as usual, with colored pencil and ink on Bristol board.  12 x 8.  I'll have it up on my website soon:  www.marierust.com


No comments:

Post a Comment