Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Ruby

Cranefest is a wonderful Audubon festival. As a nature artist I am guaranteed to talk to other nature lovers. The setting is beautiful, at the Kiwanis Club's youth area at the Baker Audubon Sanctuary, which is only open to the public for this festival. The second weekend in October is always awash with color, and the weather, while it can be chilly, is nearly always pleasant.

After rising early Sunday morning and watching the cranes, I turned my attention to the edge of the clearing. A small bird fluttered among the branches, and I tried to locate it to get a shot.


It proved quite adept at hiding.


Peek-a-boo!


After a while I gave up, and took a walk down the mowed path. Back in the shade of the trees I came across a young American robin, feasting on a bug.


He watched me carefully.


To my left I noticed movement. Right on the edge of the trail was a bird similar to the one I had been watching earlier. By the time I got my camera around it took off. But at least I'd gotten a good look at it, and was fairly certain what it was. I just needed that last piece of evidence.....


Ah, there we go, a Ruby-crowned kinglet. I have only seen this bird at my place once, so this was a special treat.


There were several of these tiny puff balls moving through the autumn olive, picking off bugs. This one stopped and posed for me.




Just as I was getting ready to head down the path, another alighted before me. Always save the best for last, I say.

If you want to know more about kinglets, read Bernd Heinrich's Winter World, a wonderful book about how animals, including the kinglet, survive northern New England's often bitter winters.

No comments:

Post a Comment