Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Rifle River Weekend

After a very busy summer we took a weekend off and made a trip up north to the Rifle River State Recreation Area. I have yet to figure out how a rec area differs from a state park--each has modern camp grounds as well as rustic, trails, boat launches, even the same signs. Anyway, it was a well deserved break from a hectic schedule, although I tend to turn every vacation into a working vacation since I am always looking for subject matter for my artwork and drag my camera with me everywhere I go.


We got to Rose City and stopped at a grocery store to round out our supplies for the weekend. We needed chips, of course, and beer, and ravioli--the staples. On the way out Lisa shot the pic below of our "rig", the 20 year old RV we do art shows in, and our newly improvised kayak rack atop our old show trailer (we now have a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer). It's an old jet ski trailer we got free from a friend that we then built the box on. It works perfectly for the yaks, and we can store paddles and fishing gear and stuff in the trailer box.
.


As you can see the weather was November-ish all weekend. Thursday night was dry, and it had not yet rained Friday morning so we put the yaks in at DeVoe Lake to do some exploring. This is Lori in her new kayak. She had a cheap yak with a rounded bottom (read tippy) and a very uncomfortable seat, so she sold the old one to our neighbors and got a new one in time for the trip. Good equipment can make all the difference!
.


Here Lisa and I are tucked into a reed bed watching the loons.
.

The weather was showery and blustery, except for Saturday when it rained for 4 hours straight. We had just gotten off the water and had the yaks loaded when the sky opened up. We are thankful to have an RV at times like that, so we're not stuck sitting in a damp, cold tent.
.
Kayaking in the rain can be a challenge especially when you have camera equipment around. I keep a trash bag in my camera bag to put over my lap and camera bag. Here Lisa and I are, sitting in the rain Friday afternoon.
.


But all in all the weather was tolerable, especially when I get to see things like this:



The pair of loons had one baby, and junior is there under mom's wing. You can see the black splashes the rain is making on the surface of the water. It was wonderfully quiet, and the loon song was haunting and beautiful.
.
I will post more about the loons soon, but next, coyote.



No comments:

Post a Comment