Thursday, May 31, 2012

Artwork--"By Any Other Name"

Have a new piece done just in time for a show this weekend, the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts' Art Fair.  I did a grosbeak years ago when I was playing around with acrylics.  I believe I gave it to my aunt, who is an RBG nut, for Christmas.


"By Any Other Name." Rose-breasted grosbeak, colored pencil and ink on Bristol board.  8" x 10" framed to 11" x 14"  $395.00






This beautiful bird shows up at our feeders in early to mid-May.  Sometimes he brings a lady friend, and at least once they had babies--I know because I found a dead fledgling under my feeders behind my studio, compliments our neighbor's cat.  Anyway, I love the detail in this piece, there are so many colors that one misses when this bird is viewed from afar. I'm glad I finally got around to revisiting this gorgeous bird.

The name of course comes from the (I believe) Shakespeare quote, "A rose by any other name is still a rose."

Ironically enough, the Woodson Museum's Birds in Art exhibition is currently at the KIA.  I applied this year but did not get selected.  I'll have to go check it out while I'm in town.




2 comments:

  1. ....gorgeous! One of Matty's favorite birds. I'll have to show him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind. He went over well at my last show, sold a few prints.

      Delete