Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Sandhill Crane Up Close

Of all the birds out there I can definitively say that the Sandhill Crane is my favorite.  We are blessed to live in an area where they are abundant and easily accessable.  Their antics are endlessly entertaining, as gangly as they are graceful.

One of the things about sandhills that I find so fascinating are their eyes.  Orangey-red like glowing coals they outshine even the hairless red cap these birds wear.  Happy to finally have my good lens back I headed over the the Howell Nature Center the other day to photograph the coyote.  Right across from the 'yote are the sandhills, one of whom has a terribly deformed beak.  I don't know what is wrong with the other bird, but he was right up at the side of their enclosure--feeding time was near.  What a treat to be so close and be able to see such detail. 















No comments:

Post a Comment