Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sleeping Bear Revisited

 Once the mural at the Boardman River Nature Center was complete we had a bit of time to relax and enjoy northern Michigan.  Lisa was coming up, as well as some of Lori's family, for a kayak trip on the Platte River, a place we had canoed back in July with Lisa's niece (the Boardman was a bit too challenging for some in the group).  But after a week of pretty intense work, much of it sitting on the floor or in a chair or simply standing still, I needed to move my legs as well as get some alone time, so I opted for a hike in the park rather than sit in a boat for two or three hours.




 I dropped the crew off at the boat launch and drove up to Otter/Bass/Deer Lake (a group of three lakes at the end of Trail's End Road).  I walked a bit, I sat a bit, and enjoyed the beautiful late autumn day.


Deer Lake



White Oak

 
Beech leaf

 Later, on the way to meet the gang at the end of their paddle, I came across two turkeys next to the road. I pulled over to get some photos. After watching me for a minute they returned to their foraging.




Once at the landing I had some time to kill so I walked down to where the Platte empties into Lake Michigan.  The river cut into its bank, a sand berm pushed into the river's path by the storm we'd had earlier in the week.




And as always, the best view of all, the dunes of Sleeping Bear through a frame of oaks.



2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your post. Don't you just love this time of year! It has been wonderful here in south-central Indiana. We are on the cusp-- as the wheel tilts . . .

    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Joni. Yes, autumn is by far my favorite time of year--even when it's 45 degrees and raining!

    ReplyDelete